Monday, July 8, 2013

I Swear I Overheard This Chick Say She had a Penis

I Swear I Overheard This Chick Say She had a Penis

I swear to god that I overheard this chick say that she had a penis. It's pretty crazy, actually. This gal right here;



Actually, that's not true in the slightest. I never stood next to this woman.. or man, whatever. In my life. I don't know her nor do I actually think she has a penis. But it goes without saying that me stating such a bold statement online does put me in the hot seat of backing up said claim.

This recently came to light actually, as she herself made a pretty bold claim after being annoyed with a random stranger for talking in public transportation.
A husband allegedly bragging about cheating on his wife has been publicly shamed on Faacebook, after a train passenger overheard his conversation.

The picture of the man, who had been traveling on a train from Philadelphia wiht friends, has since been shared more than 183,000 times since a Pennsylvania mother posted it on Wednesday.

'If this is your husband, I have endured a 2 hour train ride from Philadelphia listening to this loser and his friends brag about their multiple affairs and how their wives are too stupid to catch on. Oh please repost...'
Steph Strayer, who may or may not actually have a penis wrote. Again, I may or may not have heard her state that she had a massive cock.

See that. When people randomly post pictures of others and make claims that may or may not be true. I think that we should, perhaps, not try to use social media as a method to enforce public behavior. If you don't like the conversation topic some folks are having, then perhaps you should put on some ear phones and tune that shit out.

What sort of society are we becoming when shaming others by posting their pictures online is the default action. Yeah, he may or may not be cheating on his significant other. Hell, he may not even have a significant other and is boasting to his friends about an imaginary girlfriend. But what gives this girl the right to post his image online and libel him?

He was, after all, using his freedom of speech. And while I'm aware that freedom of speech doesn't protect him from saying something stupid, I fear that we are becoming a society that anything you say not only can, but will be used against you.

As the article also reports, earlier this year, a web company fired one of its employees after she took to Twitter to complain about the sexist comments being made by two men sitting near her at a conference. Her company, SendGrid Inc, said that although it supports the need to report inoffensive behavior, publicly shaming the offenders 'was not the appropriate way to hand the situation'.

Which I think is very much the case here. She didn't have to post his image online and libel him in public. That quick rush to judgment really is problematic and we should re-examine ourselves as a society in what we probably should just tune out. The world isn't going to be all for us. We have the ability to block out the shit that isn't our particular cup o' tea.

Besides, snitches get fucking stitches.

No comments: