Monday, June 17, 2013

Running With Gender Norms

Running With Gender Norms

hey there kids, who here likes gender norms? Well do I have one for you today! Look at this;



I'm willing to lay money that there is no such fucking "cherokee proverb" so add racism to that as well. Just like that whole "Two wolves" one.

But yeah, it's pretty clear that a woman's only job is to make sure her man succeeds, for she needs his protection and without his protection she may as well be a walking pin cushion that gets hurt all the time. Go figure. 

This reminds me of when I was at a friend's wedding, and when hanging out talking to the bridesmaids and groomsmen's girlfriends at the "significant other" table, One was going on about how shitty I thought the symbolism of the marriage ceremony was, with the father giving away the bride to the new man to take care of her and all that jazz. And I got told by one of them "but that's how marriage should be, it's like a body, the man is the head of, he makes the decisions, does the thinking, and the woman is the neck, turning the head to what she wants it to see".

I continued to drink at that point. I don't see how that is even remotely close to even an ideal situation. It also paints marriage as a grim activity that one probably should really reconsider why they are getting married. If it's solely to exchange ownership of a female body that will be the crosshairs of the gun, then what's the point? Shouldn't the goal be for equality?

Should we go back to the world were women shouldn't be allowed to vote - for they don't know what is good for them or our elected officials? It's all a bit morbid and what I'm basically saying is that perhaps we should stomp all these gender norms out like cockroaches on the restroom of that seedy gas station bathroom I used a couple of days ago on a road trip.

No comments: