Saturday, July 23, 2011

Comic Con First Purchase

Comic Con First Purchase

San Diego Comic con is a pretty big place. I mean, it's really big and you can get just about anything your nerdy heart desires there. This has been taken advantage of over he past few years in the form of comic con exclusive items.

These items are specifically sold at con and once they're gone, they're gone. Well for the exception of a few things that eventually turn up online later. But that in itself is tricky to figure out what capitalistic consumer items will make it online for the purchase price equal to that at con without having to lug it back on the trip home.

I wasn't too concerned for my wallet this year at comic con because, well, because there wasn't anything that just screamed at me. I'm pretty tired of con exclusives that will collect dust in a box and I'm way past any phase of collecting crap I don't plan on using in some degree.

But then I saw these..




Quantum Mechanix is offering up a poster series that consist of the four female characters of the Firefly crew done in a Art Nouveau style. But what has my wallet jumping is that during comic con, the Quantum Mechanix booth will have a comic-con exclusive poster featuring Mrs. Reynolds herself - Saffron.



As a fan of the show as well as someone who loves himself some Christina Hendricks, how could I pass up that print?

All these works have a strong connection to the work of Alphonse Mucha, the man who set the tone for almost all of Art Nouveau. And while this is less Art Nouveau and more Mucha-inspired work, it doesn't take away from the fact that these prints are amazingly cool.

So that there. That's my first item purchased at comic con.

No comments: