Thursday, September 30, 2010

Segwaying To A Tragic Topic

Segwaying To A Tragic Topic

I have to admit, I was half asleep with my radio on in bed yesterday when I heard the following news and I couldn't help but laugh my ass off. It's one hell of a way to start the day..

Multi-millionaire Jimi Heselden, the owner of Segway Inc. since December 2009, has died after reportedly driving a Segway scooter off a cliff and into a river.

The fatal accident allegedly occurred at Heselden's West Yorkshire estate, according to the Daily Mail. He was "using one of the machines--which use gyroscopes to remain upright and are controlled by the direction in which the rider leans--to inspect the grounds of his property," writes the Daily Mail. "A spokesman for West Yorkshire Police said today: 'Police were called at 11.40am yesterday to reports of a man in the River Wharfe, apparently having fallen from the cliffs above.'"

Police told the Telegraph that a "Segway-style vehicle" was recovered at the scene of the accident.

I can easily say that if you own any stock in the company, you probably should have sold it yesterday. If these things weren't selling well before, the guy dying on one ain't going to help sales one bit. You could almost say that sales in the Segway are going to take a serious nosedive after this incident. On wait..sales?

I'm not even sure there was much sales for these anyway. It seemed like everyone was falling off these things whenever I saw them in a youtube clip or something.



Not to mention that their only real practical use seem to come from low level security officers at the mall or whatever out door strip mall using them. Didn't really entice a lot of young people to get out and want to ride this hip cool new ride or anything.

Either way, I just have to laugh about all this. Cause really, this is why Life is funny.

No comments: