Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Working With Magneto

Working With Magneto

In this tough economy everyone is looking for the job, so when a job is posted on craigslist, people jump on it. Just look at this Craigslist ad looking for someone familiar with Magneto to be their programmer.
Date: 2009-11-10, 11:21AM PST
Reply to: job-d9ubd-1459907918@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]


Marketing agency in Santa Monica seeks independent web engineer to utilize the software program Magento and complete development for an ecommerse web site. The campaign has been designed and demo has been coded, and engineer will take what has already been done and develop remainder of project.

This is a Ecommerce based campaign that will require full Magento knowledge along with with C# / Asp.Net / Vb.Net / Classic ASP / PHP / Java Script /HTML / XHTML / Dreamweaver / CSS / Action Script / Joomla / Zen Cart / Word Press. This position will be 100% hands-on coding. This position will require 80% back end development and 20% front end development in PHP.

Please email us with a cover letter and resume, and please include web sites you have designed/engineered. Experience developing ecommerce sites a plus and knowledge of Magento a MUST.


To Whom It May Concern:

Hello, my name is Scott Summers, and I would love to be your Back End Web Programmer. I am extremely familiar with Magneto, and have been working with Magneto since I was in college. In fact, my first college assignment involved both the US Army and Magneto.

A word of caution, though: I find that Magneto is unreliable and cannot be trusted. Sure, there have been times when Magneto has been a productive force, but I find overall that you'll get better results with Ruby.

I am also proficient with Magik, and have worked with Magik for several years. I know Magik so well it's like my friend's little sister at this point.

Finally, if you are using Proetus, please do not bother to contact me as I will not work with Proteus. Proteus is very unstable.

Take care,
Scott Summers





On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 5:56 PM, julia*****@*****.com wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your email. I’m a little confused by your email. The email address is from Asterios Kokkinos but your email says your name is Scott Summers. Can you please clarify? Also, you mention several times that you have experience with Magento, but you misspelled the name of the program each time. Are you thinking of a different progran? If not, please tell me more about how you used Magento and the US Army. Finally, can you please send me your resume?

Thanks,
Julia




Dear Julia,

I'm sorry for the confusion, I'm using my friend's computer. My computer is on this island, it's a long story. Anyway, yeah I was confused too because it's definitely spelled Magneto - I've been dealing with Magneto since my early 20s, so I'm pretty confident about this.

Well, my first encounter with Magneto was pretty intense - it was at Cape Citadel, which was both a NASA and a US Army installation at the time. There was an odd problem with missiles losing guidance - it was only after the 6th failed test that we realized the problem was Magneto.

We found that Magneto was actually the cause of a lot of problems on the base w/systems going haywire, etc. My four teammates and I took care of the issue pretty quickly - luckily, all our skills were all pretty balanced & we had a good teacher. It was pretty nice - an Army general whose name escapes me called us, "uncanny," which was pretty cool.

Anyway, I am looking for work right now and would love to come in and interview. Would you be interested in setting up a phone call? I will forward you my resume tomorrow.

Take care,
Scott Summers

No comments: